Prayer Intention for the Week

September 2 - 8, 2018


That the Holy Spirit may inspire us to think of, speak about and do the things that would glorify God the Father and cause the salvation of souls. Through the same Jesus Christ our Lord and Friend. Amen.

Monday, April 29, 2013

The Beginnings of the Society of the Holy Friendship


It was in 1989 when I first got the inspiration for the Holy Friendship. During that year, two young friends of mine died due to sickness. Until that time, I was enjoying my life without consideration for the future proven by the fact that I was even an out-of-school youth that time. But those deaths led me to reflect on the reality that life on earth does not last. Even the very young may die. 

O yes, I was born and raised a Catholic and was even an altar boy during my elementary days. I even considered entering the Minor Seminary but did not pass the entrance exam. But it was only after those deaths that I started reading the Bible seriously. It was then that my attention got focused on John 15: 12-17, which is the Lord's discourse about loving one another and that being a true friend means giving one's life for someone. I thought if it was only possible, I would have given up my life for at least of those two young people. Since then I gave more time to Bible reading first finally calling the Johannine passage I mentioned above as the Gospel of Holy Friendship.

However, when I got accepted to the Seminary a few months later, I set aside this Gospel though there are times when I would try to share to others that inspiration. But since seminarians are not supposed to entertain their own inspirations but try to conform to the signs of vocation, I did not pursue the Gospel at that time. Many things happened during my seminary days and a formator finally told me that I don't have a vocation! It was 1996.

I tried to initiate activities that would lead to the establishment of the Society of the Holy Friendship with some students when I was accepted to teach Values Education in a private high school. But was not able to pursue the activity because I got lost along the way completely forgetting everything, both my personal and sacramental relationship with the Lord though still serving in a Parish as a secretary.

Then in 1999, I got appointed as Youth Minister. The following year, Jubilee Year, I was blessed enough to be sent to join other Youth Ministers to the World Youth Day in Rome [and I'll be sharing why I say I was blessed enough next time]. For about four [4] years I served as Youth Minister but once again got entangled with earthly duties that I relapsed to being a nominal Catholic.

In 2011, during the Holy Week, I was alone in a rented room somewhere in Manila, updating my personal Facebook account, when I decided to make the Facebook Page for the Holy Friendship. One of the matters that made me decide to finally give time to it was the raging online debates in various Pages and Groups at Facebook regarding the RH Bill. Personally, I would have supported the RH Bill for I saw it as an opportunity to satisfy carnal lust and desires [which some Legislators call as "safe and satisfying sex"]. But then I realized that as a Christian, it was inconsistent with my faith, with what I ultimately hope for, and what I wish to lovingly express. Satisfying my carnal desires would only be for a lifetime but what about my eternity?

And so I finally set up the Society of the Holy Friendship page at Facebook and started inviting people to like and share the same. I know that I am still a work in progress, like many of us, I am still struggling really. But as I journey I wish to share what I receive from God through inspiration. And hopefully you who are reading this would help me stay along the right path and that we'll journey together toward the Father's house. 


To be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment